Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gardein Trios


Gardein's Trio Quick Meals

     When you're feeling really lazy and you want something quick, it's nice to know you have products out there that you can heat up and eat very quickly. I know I've said that before, but you get into these lazy moods or when you haven't planned your meals properly, you suddenly have an excuse to try something new.
     Well, I was at Whole Foods and I noticed the new Trio line from Gardein. I believe what they mean by Trio is that you have a protein, a sauce and rice. There are several flavors. I noticed the burgundy and a Thai version I have in the refrigerator that's waiting for me for some day in the future when I'm feeling really lazy.

Gardein's Burgundy Trio

     Here's what it looks like after you microwave it. You're instructed to heat up the rice separately from the 'meat' and the sauce, but who's got time for that? I emptied all the pouches into the bowl at once and heated them up at the same time. Alternatively, you can put the pouches and boil them. I'd be interested to hear from any of you who have tried these and decided to boil them. I'd be interested to know if it was worth it.
     In any case, I thought it was good. Mind you, I make a real good version from scratch and maybe you can come over and try some (with mashed potatoes and not rice, even though I like rice a lot), but when you're not in the kitchen for hours, this will do. Sorry, Amy's, you now have some competition in the quick lunch category. As for Amy's, I'll eat the vegetarian lasagna for lunch or the cheese enchilada meal, but now, I'll start eating Gardein's burgundy trio and their Thai version, most likely in rotation. Amy's lasagna cost about $3.99 and this one was less than that. And best of all, it had 25 grams of protein. Take that, Amy's (which has only 17 grams)!

No comments:

Post a Comment